When the American Gold Buffalo was released in 2006, it represented the first time the United States Mint had struck coins in a composition of 24 karat gold. The coins were released in bullion versions and collector offerings. The collector coins have included proof coins and collectible uncirculated coins struck in four different bullion weights. Both extremes of high and low mintages have already been experienced for the recently introduced series.
The design for the Gold Buffalo coins is taken from James Earle Fraser’s Buffalo Nickel, issued for circulation from 1913 to 1938. The obverse features an iconic image of a Native American chief based on a composite of real life models. The reverse features the classic image of an American Bison or buffalo. With the nickel series representing a long time collector favorite, the new gold coin series was highly anticipated.
For the collectible Gold Buffalo coins:
- During the first two years of the series, only one ounce proof versions of the coins were minted for collectors. After an interesting foray into different weights and versions during 2008, the issuance of only one ounce proof coins was resumed for 2009.
- The 2008 Proof Gold Buffalo was available in one ounce, one half ounce, one quarter ounce, and one tenth ounce sizes. A collectible uncirculated version of the coin bearing the “W” mint mark was introduced in the same year, and offered in the same array of sizes.
- The highest mintage collector coin for the series is the 2006 Proof $50 Gold Buffalo at 246,267 coins.
- The lowest mintage for a collector issue occurs with the 2008-W Uncirculated $50 Gold Buffalo with a mere 9,074 coins issued individually or as part of a 4 Coin Set.
- Average mintage across the eleven different collector Gold Buffalo coins issued from 2006 to 2009 is 42,823.
Proof and Uncirculated Gold Buffalo Mintages
|2006-W $50 Proof||246,267|
|2007-W $50 Proof||58,998|
|2008-W $50 Proof||18,863|
|2008-W $25 Proof||12,169|
|2008-W $10 Proof||13,125|
|2008-W $5 Proof||18,884|
|2008-W $50 Uncirculated||9,074|
|2008-W $25 Uncirculated||16,908|
|2008-W $10 Uncirculated||9,949|
|2008-W $5 Uncirculated||17,429|
|2009-W $50 Proof||49,388|
|2010-W $50 Proof||49,263|
|2011-W $50 Proof||28,683|
|2012-W $50 Proof||19,715|
|2013-W $50 Proof||18,584|
|2013-W $50 Reverse Proof||47,836|
|2014-W $50 Proof||20,557|
|2015-W $50 Proof||16,591|
|2016-W $50 Proof||21,878|
|2017-W $50 Proof||15,810|
|2018-W $50 Proof||15,756|
|2019-W $50 Proof||14,844|
|2020-W $50 Proof||11,887|
|2021-W $50 Proof||16,958|
|2022-W $50 Proof||TBD|
Source: Gold Buffalo Guide